- The game of golf is 90% mental and 10% mental.
- If you want to get better at golf, go back and take it up at a much earlier age.
- Since bad shots come in groups of three, a fourth bad shot is actually the beginning of the next group of three.
- No matter how badly you are playing, it is always possible to play worse.
- Never keep more than 300 separate thoughts in your mind during your swing.
- Golfers who claim they don’t cheat, also lie.
- The less skilled the player, the more likely he is to share his ideas about the golf swing.
- The inevitable result of any golf lesson is the instant elimination of the one, critical, unconscious motion that allowed you to compensate for all your errors.
- Everyone replaces his divot after a perfect approach shot.
- A golf match is a test of your skill against your opponent’s luck.
- Counting on your opponent to inform you when he breaks a rule is like expecting him to make fun of his own haircut.
- You can hit a two-acre fairway 10% of the time, and a two inch branch 90% of the time.
- Every time a golfer makes a birdie, he must subsequently make two triple bogeys to restore the fundamental equilibrium of the universe.
- If you want to hit a 7-iron as far as Tiger Woods does, simply try to lay up just short of a water hazard.
- There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.
- Hazards attract. Fairways repel.
- You can put ‘draw’ on the ball, you can put ‘fade’ on the ball, but no golfer can put ‘straight’ on the ball.
- A ball you can see in the rough from 50 yards away is not yours.
- If there is a ball in the fringe and a ball in the bunker, your ball is the one in the bunker.
- Don’t buy a putter until you’ve had a chance to throw it.
The Gary Player Country Club
When construction of the Sun City Resort began in 1978, the decision was taken to build a golf course that would rival the best in the world. South Africa’s most successful professional, Gary Player, was an obvious choice to route the course in what is the crater of an extinct volcano. Player drew on his vast experience of playing championship courses around the world to produce a test of both power and finesse. The likes of Jack Nicklaus, Greg Norman, Nick Faldo and Tiger Woods have since discovered that the course carefully examines every aspect of one’s game. Both the inward and outward loops are perfectly balanced, with every club in the bag being tested along the way.
From the championship tees the course measures a mammoth 8,000 yards – but either the intermediate or the forward tees can be used without the integrity of the design being impaired. Another strength of this layout is that it favours no particular shape of shot. The fairways, clad in manicured kikuyu grass make for the perfect surface from which to hit approach shots to the bent grass greens. Imaginative bunkering protects the sand-based putting surface, all large and undulating. The magnificent views of the resort’s four hotels and lake, as well as the surrounding mountains that form part of Pilanesberg National Park, is enough to stir the blood. The Gary Player Country Club has a fully equipped health club and spa of an international standard offering a full range of beauty treatments and therapies.
Take note: Nine holes are not permitted at the Gary Player Golf Course. It is a walking golf course, so there are no golf carts available, and it is closed on Mondays for routine maintenance.
Golf Reservations: +27 14 557 1245/6 or +27 14 557 3700
Group Bookings: + 27 14 557 4417