BACKGROUND: Opened in January 2013 following an extensive refurbishment, the Maslow Sandton is a business traveller-focused hotel with offerings to accommodate their specific needs – from comfortable work desks and chairs in the rooms to fully equipped meeting rooms on the ground floor and free wi-fi for guests and conference delegates.
WHERE IS IT? The Maslow is located in Sandton’s financial district, only a few minutes away from the Sandton Gautrain station, Sandton City mall and Nelson Mandela Square.
ROOM FACILITIES: The 280 rooms are comprised of six room types, all offering 4-star accommodation. My luxury suite on the fourth floor had a balcony overlooking the Johannesburg skyline and a guest loo at the entrance. The lounge area had a very comfortable corner couch, a large smart TV, a work desk with amply plugs and a proper office chair, and a Nespresso coffee machine. There was a lovely king-size bed and another smart TV in the bedroom, and a bath and shower in the bathroom. The wi-fi was easy to connect to.
RESTAURANTS & BARS: The Lacuna Bistro and Lacuna Bar to either side of the hotel reception desks are upscale eateries with a good reputation among the employees of the surrounding Sandton businesses who visit for a power business lunch or to unwind after work. I enjoyed a delicious five-course dinner, including an oyster trio starter and a perfectly cooked steak. Breakfast was also very tasty – scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on a warm croissant with a side of mushrooms. I also helped myself to a cheese box and muffin box from the cold buffet.
BUSINESS & MEETING FACILITIES: The Maslow really shines in this area, with a real focus on the meetings and conferences. A dedicated Conference Centre offers a ballroom, auditorium and conference rooms for up to 420 delegates, pre-COVID; post-COVID numbers have been reduced to accommodate social distancing. There are 11 individual, flexible and fully-equipped meeting rooms isolated from the rest of the hotel for greater productivity. This area also has a dedicated lunch and lounge area, and direct access to the hotel’s gardens. And, if you’re looking for a quiet spot to focus on work before check-in or after check-out, the Wayfarer Lounge is set up for just this purpose.
LEISURE FACILITIES: Book an appointment at the award-winning Africology Spa for the ultimate leisurely pastime. Spoil yourself with a massage, facial or some time in the sauna. If you’re feeling more energetic, the gym is open around the clock for a workout. Or, take a stroll in the garden, where you can forget that you’re in the middle of the city.
COVID MEASURES: Hotels have had to rethink how they offer certain products and amenities. Face masks and sanitising are standard, but here’s what else the Maslow is doing to keep guests and staff safe.
- Before entering the hotel, you have to complete an online COVID screening questionnaire on your phone or a hotel iPad using a QR scanner. The result of this questionnaire needs to be shown to the receptionist after the doorman (who also takes and records your temperature) allows you to enter the building , so don’t navigate away from the screen. Otherwise you’ll have to take the questionnaire again (I learned the hard way). A mask is mandatory to enter the property.
- No-touch hand sanitisers have been installed in the elevators and scattered prolifically throughout public spaces.
- Rooms are thoroughly sanitised between guests. And rooms are rotated between guests as well, as the hotel is not operating at 100% capacity. Rooms are placed out of service for a minimum of 24 hours as an extra precaution against the spread of the virus. Remotes, coffee stations and note pads are all covered and regularly sanitised. Room are serviced in full PPE gear and cleaning sequence followed.
- When occupancies are low, buffets are replaced with waiter service, as was the case during my stay. When guest numbers increase, the breakfast buffet will be manned by staff and self-serve is not permitted. Cutlery is packed in reusable cloth sleeves and tables are cleaned and sanitised in front of guests. There is also a pre-packaged continental buffet, as well as an a la carte breakfast menu to ensure that there is still variety.
- The pool and gym are open, however social distancing still applies.
VERDICT: The Maslow has everything a business traveller could ask for – great location, super comfy rooms, delicious food, and a ton of appropriate amenities. You’d be hard-pressed to find better.
Address: Cnr Rivonia Road and Grayston Drive, Sandton
T: +27 10 226 4600